SENIOR COLLEGE OPTIONS PROGRAMME
Art and Culture
Career Entry Skills
Sports Nutrition NEW! TERM 2 OPTION
A viewpoint on Sports Nutrition for College students...
YEAR 12 PHYSICAL EDUCATION CREDIT
TERM TWO OPTION
St Andrew's College
Areas of study:
- Recommended eating practices for training, competition and enhancing performance;
- Effective menu planning for athletes;
- Nutritional requirements for different types of sports.
Training Provider: Ien Hellemans MSc; NZRD - Dietician/Sports Nutritionist
Ien, mother of Sara Hellemans who attended St Andrew's College, has had an extensive career history as a dietician and sports nutritionist ranging from nutritionist for national and regional sporting teams such as the Crusaders and Silver Ferns to her most recent position as Senior Performance Nutritionist at High Performance Sport NZ.
- 1985 - 2002 - Private Practice dietitian/sports nutritionist (1985–2002), including nutritionist for Canterbury Crusaders, NZ Silver Ferns, NZ Swimming, Cycling, Triathlon;
- 2002-2009 - Lecturer, Dept of Human Nutrition, University of Otago. Also Team Nutritionist for the 2004 Athens NZ Olympic Team;
- 2010 – current – Senior Performance Nutritionist at High Performance Sport NZ (HPSNZ), including lead nutritionist for NZ Triathlon Squad;
- Ien will tutor Sports Nutrition in Term 2.
Training Fee: $80.00
Class Size: 20 students