SENIOR COLLEGE OPTIONS PROGRAMME
Art and Culture
Career Entry Skills
Health: A Focus on Nutrition - Terms 2 and 3
St Andrew's College
Areas of study:
- Recommended practices for healthy eating;
- Effective menu planning;
- Common nutrition disorders;
- Nutritional requirements for different types of physical activity.
Training Provider: Ien Hellemans MSc; NZRD - Dietician/Sports Nutritionist
Ien has had an extensive career history as a dietician and sports nutritionist ranging from nutritionist for national and regional sporting teams such as the Crusaders and Silver Ferns to her most recent position as Senior Performance Nutritionist at High Performance Sport NZ.
- 1985 - 2002 - Private Practice dietitian/sports nutritionist (1985–2002), including nutritionist for Canterbury Crusaders, NZ Silver Ferns, NZ Swimming, Cycling, Triathlon,
- 2002-2009 - Lecturer, Dept of Human Nutrition, University of Otago. Also Team Nutritionist for the 2004 Athens NZ Olympic Team
- 2010 – current – Senior Performance Nutritionist at High Performance Sport NZ (HPSNZ), including lead nutritionist for NZ Triathlon Squad
Ien will tutor general Health: a focus on nutrition in Terms 1 and 3 and Sports Nutrition in Term 2. These two options are highly recommended to our students.